Skip to main content

I wrote a Password Wordlist Generator in Python

As I am getting experience and writing simple programs in Python, I wanted to write a "hacking" related program. Not too hard, but not too simple.

PasswordListGenerator



I think I got the idea from watching a Mr Robot episode, Elliot creates a wordlist for cracking passwords. This gave me an idea and I thought I would do this!

So I searched for similar programs to see if something like this existed and I found CUPP and BEWGor.

These are absolutely beautiful. They are well written and provide many operations and options for creating a wordlist.  

I took the idea of how these programs worked to create the wordlist and applied my version to do the same.

Yes, it is not an original idea, but it is my implementation.

I have to agree, the best way to get better at a programming language is to do a project.

I posted a small GIF showing how the program works on Reddit and it got a good amount of reactions. Turns out, people actually give great advice and motivate you on the internet!

I learnt a lot from doing this and taking advice on it. The best advice I got was on how to name my files and using the PEP8 style guide for Python.

I will continue to write programs in Python, I just wrote a simple Port Scanner and it was really fun.

I plan on using the books, Black Hat Python and Violent Python to further learn and improve.

Thanks for reading!

AZID

Comments

Most Viewed Content:

CEH v10 Write-up | Certified Ethical Hacker | 2020

On July 10th I passed the CEH with 105/125 questions right and this is the write up to the exam and certification. I got really interested in the CEH because it was a well known certification and the syllabus really interested me. I also had a ton of recommendations online and from people in this industry saying that the CEH was a really good beginner level security certification. Details about the exam and course: I bought the course from the EC-Council website. There are certain requirements if you want to take this certification. You should either have 2 years experience or buy their online iClass to attempt the exam. As I did not have the required experience I bought the online course. The EC-Council website and how everything works with them is very confusing and I got very confused at times. But thankfully, the customer support answered all my questions and guided me through the buying process and the registration. The course costs $1100 USD in India but I bought the course durin...

I got a Job as a Security Engineer!

Long time since I wrote a blog post, but things happened. I graduated from University with a degree in Information Science. I interned in 3 different companies since getting certified in CEH and CCNA. I also did huge projects in the final year of college. I had around 200 applications over 2 months and 7 interviews. After being rejected and ghosted numerous times I got a few interviews. 5 of which didn't go so well. Either I wasn't qualified or they didn't think I had enough experience. Fortunately,  the last 2 interviews went extremely well and I got a job offer from BOTH companies! Company 1 is a big Networking company where I where the job was being a part of the Incident Response team and Company 2 is mid-size education software provider. Company 2 had 1 other security person, and I would be person 2, which would have been a great opportunity to learn and grow with. I took a few days and talked to a bunch of people in my family and even posted on Reddit to get advice on...